Friday, February 6, 2015

UNPARALLELED HONOURING OF ONE'S MOTHER FOUND ONLY IN ISLAM



Abu Hurairah (radi Allahu anhu) narrated: A man came to  Allah’s Messenger (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) and said, “O Allah’s Messenger! Who is more entitled to be treated with the best companionship by me?” The Prophet (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said, “Your mother.” The man said, “Who is next?” The Prophet  (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said, “Your mother.” The man further said, “Who is next?” The Prophet  (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said, “Your mother.” The man asked ( for the fourth time), “Who is next?” The Prophet  (sal Allahu alaihi wa sallam) said, “Your father.” 


[Narrated by Imam Muslim in his Saheeh Book 32, Hadith 6181; Ibn Maajah Vol. 5, Book 33 Hadith 3658 ; Sunan at-Tirmidhi Vol. 4, Book 1, Hadith 1897, Adab al Mufrad Book 1, Hadith 3 & 14; and there are many similar ahaadeeth. ]


Ibn Salamah As-Sulami narrated that the Prophet (p.b.u.h) said:

“I enjoin each one to honor his mother,I enjoin each one to honor his mother,I enjoin each one to honor his mother(three times), I enjoin each one to honor his guardian who is taking care of him, even if he is causing him some annoyance.”

[Sunan Ibn Maajah Vol. 5, Book 33, Hadith 3657]


The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) heard the recitation of Haarithah ibn al-Nu’maan in Paradise and said:

He attained this level (in paradise) because of Honoring his mother

[ Narrated by Ibn Wahb in al-Jaami’ (22); classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in al-Silsilah al-Saheehah (913).]

A'ishah (May Allah be pleased with her) asked the Messenger of Allah (PBUH): "Who has the greatest rights over a woman?" He said, "Her husband." She asked, `And who has the greatest rights over a man?" He said, "His mother." 


[Reported by al-Bazzar with a hasan isnad. See Majma' al-Zawa'id, 4/308, Bab haqq al-zawj 'ala'l-mar'ah, Hakim, Fiqh us-Sunnah. But this is a weak (da’eef) hadeeth, which was classed as such by al-Albaani in Da’eef al-Targheeb wa’l-Tarheeb, 1212, and he criticized al-Mundhiri for classing it as hasan. However the meaning remains right due to corroborating evidences]

From al-Miqdam bin Ma’adee Karb al-Kindee on the authority of the Prophet -sallAllaahu alayhi wa sallam- who said: ‘Indeed Allaah orders you to fulfill the rights of your mothers, then to fulfill the rights of close relatives then those who are after them.’

[Collected in ‘Silsilah Saheehah’ No.1666]


 From Muhammad who said: ‘There was a date palm which bore one thousand dates, so Usamah bin Zayd –RadhiAllaahu anhu- went to these dates and cut them off the tree due to their beauty. He was asked about it, so he said: Indeed my mother mentioned to me that she would love to have them, and there is nothing from the Duniya that my mother wants and I have the capability of getting except that I will get it for her.’

[Collected in ‘Mukarim al-Akhlaaq’ p.225, taken from ‘Akhbar as-Salaf’ p. 268]

From Ibn Abbas –RadhiAllaahu anhu- that a man came to him and said: ‘I proposed to a woman but she refused to marry me, someone else proposed to her and she liked him and married him. I became jealous over her and I killed her, can I repent from this?’

Ibn ‘Abbas asked: ‘Is your mother alive?’


He answered: ‘No.’

Then Ibn Abbas said: ‘Repent to Allaah –Azza wa Jal- and come close to Him as much as you can.’

The narrator said: I went and asked Ibn ‘Abbas –RadhiAllaahu anhu-: ‘Why did you ask him whether his mother was alive?’

Ibn Abbas –RadhiAllaahu anhu- answered: ‘Indeed I do not know of an action closer to Allaah –Azza wa Jal- than being good to ones mother.’

[Collected by Bukhari in ‘Adab al-Mufrad’ no.4, declared Saheeh by Albaani in ‘Silsilah as-Saheehah’ 2799]


From Abu Hazim that Abu Murrah, the freed slave of Umm Hani the daughter of Abu Taalib informed him that he rode with Abu Hurairah to al-Aqeeq where his land was. When he entered his land he yelled at the top of his voice: ‘O my mother Assalamu alaykum wa Rahmatullaahi wa Baraktuhu’

She replied: ‘Wa alayka assalam wa Rahmatullaahi wa Baraktuhu’

He said: ‘May Allaah have mercy upon you as you brought me up when I was small.’

She said: ‘O my son, and likewise to you, may Allaah reward you with goodness and may He be pleased with you, as you look after me while I am old.’

[Collected by Bukhari in ‘Adab al-Mufrad’ No.14, and Albaani declared it to have a Hasan Isnaad]


From ‘Atta that a person’s mother took an oath from him that he should not pray except the obligatory prayer and not to fast except Ramadan, ‘Atta said: Obey her!’

[Collected in ‘al-Birr’ by Ibn al-Jawzi p.67, taken from ‘Akhbar as-Salaf’ p.269]

 Muhammad bin al-Munkadir (A Taba`ee) said: ‘I spent the night massaging my mother’s leg and Umar spent the night praying. His night would not make me happier than my night.

[Collected in ‘al-Hileeyah’ 3/150, taken from ‘Akhbar as-Salaf’ p.269]


From Ibn ‘Awn who said: ‘Muhammad bin Sireen when he was with his mother , used to lower his voice and speak slowly.’

[Collected in ‘Mukarim al-Akhlaaq’ p.226, taken from ‘Akhbar as-Salaf’ p.270]

From Hisham who said: Hafsah bint Sireen used to ask for Allaah’s mercy upon her son Huthayal and say: He would go and get reed and stalks to make a fire, he would peel them and gather them in the summer time, so when it is lit it would not produce smoke. When it came to winter time he would come and sit behind me while I prayed and he would light a small fire so that I could feel the warmth from it and so that the smoke from it would not bother me. I used to say to him O my son it is night time go to your wife and he would say: ‘O mother I know what you want.’

She continued: ‘If I did not continue saying it to him perhaps he would be there till the morning time!’

[Collected in ‘al-Birr’ by Ibn al-Jawzi p.53, taken from ‘Akhbar as-Salaf’ p.270]


From al-Hasan bin Nuh who said: Khamas used to work using plaster every day for two small coins, and when the evening would approach he would buy a piece of fruit with that and bring it to his mother!’

[Collected in ‘al-Hileeyah’ 6/212, taken from ‘Akhbar as-Salaf’ p.271]

From Mughira who said: Talq bin Habeeb used to help his mother with her work.’

[Collected in ash-Shuyb/7543, taken from ‘Akhbar as-Salaf’ p.271]


 ‘Amr bin Ubayr used to visit Khamas he would greet him with Salaams and sit with him and his companions. So his mother said to him: ‘Indeed I see this person and his companions and I dislike them, and I am not impressed by them so do not sit with them.’ ‘Amr and his companions came to him and he came close to them, and said: Indeed my mother dislikes you and your companions so do not visit me.’

[Collected in ‘al-Hileeyah’ 6/212, taken from ‘Akhbar as-Salaf’ p.272]

Always remember , Allah (s.w.t) said : “His mother bears him with hardship. And she brings him forth with hardship”

[Qur'an, al-Ahqaaf 46:15]


Read more In sha Allah: http://the-finalrevelation.blogspot.com/2012/10/obligation-of-upholding-ties-of-family.html#ixzz3R2mTvx8T
Follow us: thefinalrevelation on Facebook